Why You might need Film and Media Insurance

If you are in film or media, you will need insurance. There are different types of film and media insurance available for you to get. All you need to know is what type of insurance is available and what it covers.

One type is called Errors and Omissions Insurance for producers. This offers coverage for producers in case they are sued for copyright infringement, slander, invasion of privacy, etc. This company makes sure that your movie is available to all companies at competitive premiums. This is required when signing contracts. This covers the following: movie distribution regardless of if the movie is released in theaters or goes straight to DVD, it provides coverage for improper handling of unsolicited scripts, the use of hidden cameras, failure to obtain the rights to music and film clips, not getting releases for people appearing in the movie, and using celebrities’ names or likeness without permission.

Another type of cover is Errors and Omissions for distributors. This is similar to the producers’ insurance. This covers distributors from lawsuits that may happen because of what they are distributing. Distributors are protected against lawsuits that occur from plagiarism from one movie to another. This provides protection from lawsuits that claim the following allegations: invasion of privacy, plagiarism or pirating, infringement, libel or slander, etc.

Movie Production Insurance will allow you to film your movie anywhere and you will have coverage. The movie must have a budget of over a million dollars or more. This covers the cast, damage caused by vehicles, wardrobe, props and sets (whether owned or rented), equipment, film and videotape, money, etc.

Short Term Production Insurance is for low-budget movies. This is great for music videos as well as other short films. They don’t cover action stunts performed in movies. It does cover general liability, vehicle liability, worker’s compensation, as well as the safety of the cast and crew.

Short Term Production II is similar to Short Term Production except it is for movies with bigger budgets. It covers the same things as Short Term Production except it covers the following: wardrobe, props and sets, extra expenses, vehicle liability and physical damage, and rented equipment.

Dice/Annual Production Insurance covers documentaries with budgets that are up to $5 million. To qualify, you can’t have any action scenes. You can’t shoot a gangster rap music performance. It has to shoot in the United States or Canada. This insurance covers the same things at the Short Term Production/Short Term Production II policies.

These are just some of the types of film and media cover available. You just have to do the research to find out what the best policy is for your production.